We can make oil sands and heavy oil as clean and as profitable as any other oil on the planet.
Acceleware's patent pending RF XL and Modular RF are all-electric, game changing heating technologies that use radio waves rather than steam to mobilize heavy oil and bitumen, resulting in dramatic economic savings. These RF technologies are a substantial departure from all other RF technologies tested to date, and are an exciting and revolutionary innovation in the quest to produce oil from Alberta’s oil sands, and other bitumen and heavy oil deposits around the globe with zero carbon footprint.
RF XL and Modular RF require no costly chemicals or solvents, use no solvent recovery process, no external water, have a very small physical footprint, and can immediately reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions compared to steam assisted gravity drainage (SAGD) and surface mining. When used in place of surface mining to produce near-surface bitumen, RF XL also inherently eliminates the need for tailings ponds.
WHAT IS IT: A better way to create steam.
RF heating uses electromagnetic energy to efficiently create steam underground, which mobilizes bitumen and heavy oil for production. The inherent efficiency of this process results in production levels comparable to SAGD, while using less than half the energy. It can be used in clastic (oil sands) formations as well as in heavy oil, post-CHOPs (cold heavy oil production with sand), thin pay (10m+) reservoirs, carbonates, or fractured formations.
Due to their unique design, Acceleware’s RF technologies can;
- be deployed simply and quickly;
- deliver energy efficiently deeper underground;
- deliver much more RF power to the reservoir than other RF technologies, and;
- can be applied to much longer horizontal wells (up to 2000m) than has been possible to date.
Acceleware has two proprietary platforms: RF XL and Modular RF, which can produce heavy oil and bitumen from a wide range of reservoir types, with less cost and lower carbon than any other production method. This holds true even in assets that were previously stranded or considered unproven. Acceleware’s RF technologies have the potential to radically increase viable oil reserves in Alberta and elsewhere.
HOW DOES IT WORK:
RF heating operates like an inside-out microwave oven, with radio waves seeking out and turning the connate water (water that already exists in the oil-bearing formation) into steam. This efficient process is in contrast to SAGD, where steam is made from externally sourced fresh water above ground and then pumped into, and then out of, the formation.
As an all-electric process, RF heating gives operators the flexibility to choose power sources that are both environmentally clean and lower cost.
The deployment and production process for RF heating is essentially;
- The horizontal production and RF heating wells are drilled and completed in a similar fashion to a SAGD well pair.
- High-efficiency RF generators convert electricity to RF energy, which starts energizing the formation immediately. Each system is optimized to ensure that heating is focused only on the oil-bearing portion of the formation to minimize heat losses.
- The RF energy turns connate water into steam, which then heats the oil and allows it to flow to the producer well. As the water turns to steam, it no longer absorbs RF energy, allowing that energy to reach further into the formation to heat more water and mobilize more oil.
- This 'volumetric heating' effect allows RF XL to heat the entire formation far more efficiently than steam injection. This results in similar oil production levels to SAGD, but requires only half of the energy.
WHY IS IT BETTER:
Our innovation dramatically improves on the environmental and economic performance of SAGD, while retaining all of the advantages of using a proven heavy oil or oil sands production technique. Additionally;
- The technology is very simple to use and easy to deploy.
- Since RF technologies use steam to heat the oil, the subsequent oil mobilization and production processes have been historically validated by SAGD and can be reliably predicted. This means that aside from how the steam is generated, producers can leverage production processes that are very well understood and have long proven to be successful.
- Because we require no solvents or chemicals ever, there is no solvent recovery risk or associated environmental risk.
- There is also no risk of operating cost volatility due to solvent costs.
- Acceleware RF heating can deliver more energy to in-situ oil more effectively than SAGD or any other thermal processes. This means we can save money, reduce emissions, and can produce oil cleanly and profitably from a wider range of reservoir types than has been possible to date.