Will RF work for my reservoir?
Acceleware’s RF heating technologies are effective in a wide range of heavy oil and oil sands reservoirs where water saturation levels range from 5-30%, with pay zone thickness of 10m or more. If your reservoir falls within this range, it is likely viable for production using RF heating. Additional reservoir conditions, such as permeability, viscosity and depth, are other factors that impact performance.
Further steps to determine suitability include;
- Reservoir conditions are reviewed to confirm viability, and to learn more about the details regarding deploying RF technology for your operation.
- A simulation study is performed, where Acceleware uses AxHeat simulation software integrated with Computer Modelling Group Ltd. (CMG) STARS to provide detailed simulations and production estimates.
- Acceleware provides a proposed RF heating system design tailored specifically for your reservoir, along with suggested avenues for further optimization.
At that stage;
- A pilot production deployment is performed. Acceleware works directly with you and your preferred service companies to ensure that RF related drilling, completions, and deployment are performed correctly, and to ensure maximum production capability.
- Ongoing optimization guidance is available over the production life cycle.
How do you know it will work?
- The underlying RF technology is proven. Acceleware RF heating is not a “re-invention of the wheel” per se, rather an innovative adaptation of a long-proven technology. The idea of applying RF to enhance oil production was first tested and patented in the mid-1900s but was not commercialized due to the technological limitations at that time. As technology advanced, industry interest in RF began to re-emerge due to the practicality and efficiency inherent with this type of heating. Sensing shifting environmental and economic priorities within the global energy sector, Acceleware started working to modify and adapt RF as a clean-tech solution for heavy oil and oil sands production in 2010. Acceleware's effort has resulted in two patent pending heating platforms that work simply, cleanly, and extremely effectively.
- The fundamentals of RF heating are proven. Just like a microwave, our technology generates heat by exciting water molecules. These water molecules turn into steam as they are heated, which creates a steam chamber and production results in the same way as SAGD. While we are different because our RF solutions are completely flexible and scalable, the production process is similar to SAGD in that heavy oil or bitumen is mobilized by increasing its temperature.
- Our near surface test has been successfully completed. We have completed extensive lab and bench scale testing to confirm that the technology works, and have recently performed a 1/20th scale test that has validated and confirmed the effectiveness and efficiency of our designs, our ability to deliver high levels of power to a formation, and the accuracy of our simulation software. Quite simply, all testing has been successful.
In addition to our development and testing work:
- Acceleware has over 25 years of leadership in electromagnetic modeling and antenna design.
- Acceleware has partnered with General Electric (GE) to develop critical power components and complete our pilot test of RFXL.
- We have been actively working on the development and commercialization of RF heating technologies with super-majors, IOC’s, and National E&P companies for over 7 years.